Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A 76th Division "Top Kick"..."A" Company, 417th Regiment First Sergeant Uniform.

1st SGT Degon enlisted in 1939 and was part of the 76th Division from it's activation in 1942. This jacket also came with the VERY rare 1st Battalion 417th Regimental unit history.

He served in all three campaigns with the 417th and in an interview, he stated he was most worried about how the food tasted for his men. He passed away in 2011. Being awarded the Combat Infantry Badge was his greatest wartime achievement he stated. He was retroactively awarded the Bronze Star Medal in 1947.









3 comments:

  1. Last week I bought a foot locker grouping from a 417th of the 76th Sgt. Included was a small group from his brother who was MIA/KIA 15th USAAF. I would be more than happy to show you. Yours David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your reply! I'm sorry it took me so long to notice this. Do you still have the grouping?

    Email me at:
    wwii_research_investigations@yahoo.com

    for a quicker response!

    ReplyDelete